Hummus is one of my favorite things on this planet. I almost feel like loving hummus is a prerequisite to living a plant-based lifestyle. You can use it as a dip, as a spread...the options are limitless. Plus, a classic hummus recipe like the one I'm sharing with you today is a perfect base for adding other flavors like roasted red pepper or spinach and artichoke. To top it all off, hummus is such a quick thing to make that it's a win-win all around. Can you feel my love for it yet?
While I obviously appreciate it's versatile nature, another thing that I love about hummus is the nutritional components. Living a plant-based / vegan lifestyle, a question that I receive a lot is, "If you don't eat meat, where do you get your protein?" Well, a lot of places: beans, nuts, nut butters, seeds, quinoa, buckwheat, etc. Hummus is such an easy way to get protein and fiber, and chickpeas are a pretty great source of nutrients like iron and b vitamins. Okay, okay....you get that I love it; let's jump into this super simple recipe.
What You'll Need:
- 4 cloves of garlic - you can definitely use as much or as little as you want here. I l-o-v-e garlic (one of my husband's favorite qualities about me, I'm sure... ;) ) so I like to use a lot in this recipe! But if you're sensitive to garlic or you're bringing this to a party or group setting, two cloves might be more suitable.
- Juice of two lemons
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup of tahini or cashew butter. I used cashew butter in this recipe to give the finished product a smoother consistency and a little additional protein + healthy fats. I find the taste to be almost exactly the same whether you choose to use tahini or cashew butter.
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 TBS water
- 2 cups (~1 15 oz can) organic chickpeas
- Paprika for serving
Let's Make It:
- In a food processor or high-speed blender, combine garlic, lemon juice and salt.
- Add tahini or cashew butter and cumin, blend until smooth. Add water if needed, we're looking for a smooth consistency.
- Add chickpeas and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Taste for seasonings. Add more lemon juice, salt or cumin as desired / needed.
- Spread hummus onto plate or into bowl and sprinkle with paprika. Drizzle with olive oil of desired (optional).