Plant Powered Protein Day 9: Peas // Avocado Pea Toast
If peas were on your "refuse to eat" list as a kid, I hope you'll reconsider them as an adult because they are amazing.
Seriously? Amazing? They're just...peas.
Maybe so, but check it:
- Protein: Green peas are one of the best sources of plant-based protein. 1 cup of peas provides nearly 10g of protein.
- Fiber: Yup, we're bringing up fiber again. 1 cup of peas gives you nearly 9g of fiber which you know is great for our digestive systems and weight management. The fiber and protein content in peas also help to control blood sugar levels.
- B-Vitamins: Folate, vitamins B6 and B12 are abundant in peas, which help to create red blood cells and in turn, carry nutrients and oxygen to our cells.
- Vitamin C: While your first instinct when you get a cold might be to reach for an orange or orange juice, know that 1 cup of peas gives us 97% of our daily recommended intake of vitamin C.
- Vitamins and minerals: Peas are a really rich source of other essential minerals like calcium, iron, copper, manganese as well as vitamins K and A (great for our eye health).
Peas are super easy to add to soups (split pea soup is a favorite of mine), stir fry dishes, pastas, salads and more. For my fellow #AvocadoToast lovers out there, this recipe is for you:
What You'll Need:
- 2 slices of bread (I am using sprouted grain Ezekiel bread)
- 1/2 cup peas (if frozen, prepare according to package instructions)
- 1/2 avocado, cubed
- Juice of 1 small lime
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Chia + hemp seeds (optional)
Let's Make It:
- Toast your bread, set aside.
- Place peas, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper into a bowl. Using a fork, mash the peas and mix ingredients together.
- Add avocado and stir to combine, mashing some of the avocado pieces.
- Scoop mixture onto toast and sprinkle with red pepper flakes and chia + hemp seeds.